Featuring a foreword by David Brooks, This Will Make You Smarter presents brilliant--but accessible--ideas to expand every mind.
What scientific concept would improve everybody's cognitive toolkit? This is the question John Brockman, publisher of Edge.org, posed to the world's most influential thinkers. Their visionary answers flow from the frontiers of psychology, philosophy, economics, physics, sociology, and more. Surprising and enlightening, these insights will revolutionize the way you think about yourself and the world.
- Daniel Kahneman on the "focusing illusion"
- Jonah Lehrer on controlling attention
- Richard Dawkins on experimentation
- Aubrey De Grey on conquering our fear of the unknown
- Martin Seligman on the ingredients of well-being
- Nicholas Carr on managing "cognitive load"
- Steven Pinker on win-win negotiating
- Daniel Goleman on understanding our connection to the natural world
- Matt Ridley on tapping collective intelligence
- Lisa Randall on effective theorizing
- Brian Eno on "ecological vision"
- J. Craig Venter on the multiple possible origins of life
- Helen Fisher on temperament
- Sam Harris on the flow of thought
- Lawrence Krauss on living with uncertainty
8.02h x 5.30w x 1.11dReview Citations: Kirkus Reviews
02/28/2012New York Times Book Review
08/05/2012 pg. 16